Sunday, August 31, 2008

(Pole) Dancing Queen

Interesting. So it turns out that I am a million times better on the pole than on the trapeze!! So after lunch, was time to trek over to the trapeze nets where we all got harnessed up and given a quick tutorial on what to do (hands wide, hips forward then a little hop jump off the platform). I was actually quite nervous and the really really wobbly ladder on the way up to the (very) high platform didnt help matters! (at this stage, i was totally regretting the second helping at lunch!). One of the teachers gave a demo of what we were supposed to do - easy! Looked dead straightforward - no problem! Wow. Nope. Discovered after I launched myself off the platform and discovered i'd instantly transformed into a dead weight, that i am NOT a natural trapeze artiste!! BUT i did it! Just the once and have no real desire to do it again, but one more to tick off the list! I just couldnt get my legs up and hooked over the bar, so just ended up swinging in the air! Made a half-hearted attempt at a backflip but then just let go to bounce into the safety net below. Actually getting off the bloody thing was hard work too! So decided to quit whilst I was ahead (probably a good call too - one woman earlier in the morning pulled her shoulder really badly and ended up in hospital) and head off early to pole-dancing class.

Oh my God - what a riot!! It was absolutely hilarious and great fun! The woman teaching it was completely awesome and, for the first 40ins, was teaching us all these sexy moves, without the pole. It was really quite bizarre, to be a room with 24 other women, all complete strangers, and being encouraged to dance sexy, toss your hair and basically do whatever felt good! But after a few minutes of feeling self-conscious, you got into it and just enjoyed the feeling of your body moving to the music and doing what felt good. We didnt get long on the pole - just one twizzle each, but it was so much fun, I think i may have found myself a new hobby when I get back to Manhattan! A bloody good workout too - after all the day's activities, I'm completely exhausted! Is half 4 now, so I think i'm going to wander down to the water's edge and chill out for a bit - there's a open grill at 5.30pm which, apparently, is a better option than dinner!

No comments: