Wednesday, August 20, 2008

There but for the grace of God...
And I dont even believe in God but, given the news of the plane crash at Madrid airport (where I'm flying to tomorrow) with over 100 people killed, it puts your little existential agonisings into perspective. They, like me, would have thought they were just on another flight and certainly not that this take-off was going to represent the final few moments of their lives. We all intellectually assume immortality and spend our lives caught up in the minitiae that only becomes important when we assume our continued existence. I try and live as much in the present moment as I can to offset this but still find myself losing perspective and sweating the small stuff. At least one thing I do know is that, when that final moment happens for me, I know I've led an emotionally honest life so that my last thoughts wont be "If only I'd told them I loved them". At that point in time, probably one of my weaknesses (being too damned emotionally open!) will become my final, greatest strength.

And on that deep note, I'm off to the Ubiquitous Chip for some haggis, tatties and neeps!

No comments: