Friday, August 22, 2008

Marilyn moments in Madrid

So finally arrived in Madrid yesterday, courtesy of British Airways via Gatwick. Journey was very smooth although still a little sombre as we landed into Madrid where the final death toll from the plane crash was 153.

Luggage took a while to arrive, so finally got to the hotel at 8pm - very nice! The ME hotel in Plaza Santa Ana - v. trendy, staffed by beautiful people and very reminiscent of a W hotel! Couldnt have more of a stark contrast to the Holiday Inn at Glasgow. Checked in, approved of my room (decked out in purple and white) and grabbed an early (by Spanish standards!) dinner at the nearby Ginger restaurant. And here's what I learnt about Madrid so far - BEWARE THE GRATINGS IN THE PAVEMENT!!! Especially if, like me, you were wearing a knee length floaty skirt and non-Bridget Jones style pants. What looks like a harmless grating is actually an evil wind tunnel from somewhere and exists to catch hapless, unsuspecting women like me off guard. One minute you're strolling along the pavement, just looking around at all the pretty buildings and shops, the next, your skirt is up by your ears and the local men are getting an eyeful. Which, I guess, would explain why they congregate in that exact spot, I suppose. Honestly, it was so mortifyingly embarrassing, I actually just completely burst out laughing as I realised the look on my face must have been utterly priceless - and the two blokes who were standing right there were also wetting themselves with laughter (which could also have been a shock response, I suppose!). Ah well - it made for a very interesting moment - one, however, I will try not to repeat!!

No comments: