Saturday, August 18, 2012

Its a Brand New Day....
And so life goes on.  KSCC is over, so what life lessons did I learn?

1) You can save a STACK LOAD of cash when you don't go shopping and instead use what you already have in your stores.  An unexpected side-effect of KSCC was that, in addition to not spending money on groceries (other than sufficient scurvy-resistant amounts of fresh fruit and veg), I found myself not spending any money on anything.  Not spending money on eating out for almost 2 months (other than when out on a business dinner or away from home) really adds up pretty quickly.  I also found myself not spending money on the little impulse purchases I'm usually terrible at resisting.  I embody Oscar Wilde's quote - "I can resist anything - except temptation".   Avoiding my usual favorite websites like Fab.com and Ideeli.com definitely helped, but it may also be the lingering effects of my trip to Bhutan.  I got to appreciate living in a non-materialistic society for a couple of weeks so, since then, have noticed that my usual acquisitive tendencies have been curbed quite considerably.  Not shopping for food also led to far fewer visits to Costco (one of my main *ahem* cost centres) and so pretty much the only thing i've been spending money on is on travel and other life-enhancing experiences such as lock picking lessons and bee keeping classes.

2) I had a SH*T LOAD of food in my cupboards.  Even after a whole month of active felafel foraging and pulse prepping, I probably still have at least another month's worth of food in there.  Mr Carbquick alone would be good for at least another 3 Cobblers worth (and I know he's just itching to get his own talk show, so he's been bugging me for another interview to "gain valuable exposure").  Although I don't think i'd have enough supplies to survive a Zombie Apocalypse, I think i'll continue to do my best to make a dent in my remaining stores.  Just this morning, I even started to sprout some mung beans (Mum - you'd be so proud) to use up the vast quantities still lurking.  Not sure yet if they are sprout-worthy or not, but watch this space for daily Sprout Watch updates....

3) Eating Baked Bean and Spam pizza and Cheesy Peasy Pastaliciousness is VERY fattening.  Whilst  KSCC absolutely did its job and enabled me to radically thin out my credit card statement (which my financial advisor should be very happy about), unfortunately it also radically added to my other bottom line.  Its time to face the Inconvenient Truth that a month and a half of carb-heavy, exercise-lite living has left me a little Tub-tastic.

So, its with some trepidation, but with an equal sense of inevitability, that I announce my next blogosphere adventure - a 10 week challenge, inspired by my very own skin and blister....

.......The "Get Lean And Loopyliscious" Thanksgiving Challenge......


Now, this isn't going to be your average weight loss challenge cos that would be boring and who wants to read about that?  No...this one is going to have a twist (of course) so stay tuned...... 

2 comments:

Mumsie said...

just what i need another exciting glimps into san fran inspired life.cant wait till the entry.really pleased that not only did yourKSCC entertain us but saved you money ,its true when you dont see it you dont want it.now you can understand my excitment when i visit cos i live buthan all year.no touristy views and vistas for me just walgreens macys and b b b are my mecca.good luck with sprouting but dont think they will be ready before you travel again. been too hot here for past 6 weeks to sprout will be end of sept before i have organic greenage once more.do continue to empty cupboards then we can fill them with christmas calorie goodness from the english shop, its on my to do list.will be with you early enough to make dundee cake and let it mature, looking forward to a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake on boxing day.love you lots read you tomorrow.p s i am sure you havent gained that much poundage calories dont count when you blog about them!and your pics show you looking beautiful as always xxxxx

Unknown said...

ditto what mum said!!! With all the healthy shops and fresh food am sure tou will be lean and lucious sooner than 10 weks but am so chuffed and excited you named a challenge with me in it!!! break out the lentil burgers and try the falafel again but make the hummus now and you will find both enhanced superbly!! they with the carrot salad thing a big staple for me!! good luck with it will be routing for you cant wait to see the first blog.. maybe you should have a dubious bizarre challenge...oh wait a sec..thats mine for you!!!! hee hee hee love you and miss you lots xxxxxx