Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Day 26: Keen-wha?
Four days left on KSCC, and it was about time I made a dent into the quinoa that's been lurking with intent and that i've been studiously ignoring. I'm not a massive fan of quinoa but I know its very good for you, is a complete source of protein, blah blah blah, so time to suck it up and give it a whizz.   Mum - this one was for you, you quinoa nut!  My supplies dwindled faster than I anticipated - checking the expiration date of the 3 boxes i had in my cupboard, I discovered i'd inadvertently started a quinoa museum, with the oldest box bearing a 2009 expiration date.  Oops.  Shows you just how often i eat quinoa.  Anyway, I figured the 2009 vintage was probably a bit on the ripe side (does quinoa go off?  what does it do to you if it does?), so I dumped that and the 2010 box, but figured July 2011 was within acceptable limits.

Anyway, what do you do with something as dull as quinoa?  Well, if you're me and you're looking in your fridge, you end up dumping some fresh corn in it, some sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and end up pretty much with bird feed.  I'd cooked it in beef bouillon, so it had a bit of flavor but, with the seeds, it ended up pretty salty.  Fortunately, I'd also dug out some of Loopy's Luscious Lentil Burgers and also had a yummy fresh salad, so supper wasnt a complete disaster.   Here are the scores on the (crunchily granola) doors:

Day 26: Unkeen quinoa bird seed salad
Ingredients: quinoa, beef stock, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, fresh corn, salt & pepper; served with mixed green salad and lentil burgers.
DoD: 2 (meh - not too tricky, the most difficult thing associated with this dish is the boredom factor as you eat it)
II: 2 (some imagination was required due to my novice quinoa status)
PfBF: 4 (high, could be barf, could be squits, could be nothing - depends on what eating year-old out of date quinoa is going to do to my system...)

Btw, completely random observation but, as I've been watching the Olympic coverage here on NBC (again, wishing it was the Beeb), I have to giggle every time the commentators refer to the sprinting races.  Instead of calling it the 100 metres run or sprint, they call it the 100m dash!  Makes it sound as if they're all lining up outside a shopping centre on Boxing Day, waiting for the sales to open!!  Gawd bless 'em.  I did just finish watching the women's beach volleyball final, though, with May-Treanor and Walsh - it was a great match and i'm glad they won.  A really nice storybook ending.

Anyway, no KSCC for the next 2 nights - am off to LA tomorrow for market research.  By my reckoning, we'll be celebrating the end of KSCC on Tuesday of next week.  We'll have lots of celebrity interviews talking about the impact this Challenge has had on their lives, so watch this space......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love you soopy and miss you very much...you are super uber funny and love your blogs...from bhutan to bird seed salad i love em all xxxxxxxxx

Bun bun said...

Awww...thanks, Loopy!