Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 12: Operation Reverse GlobeTrot – Phase I complete
Paro - Bangkok



I’ve decided that DrukAir rocks.  Rather than being the dodgefest airline you’d probably imagine (Druk-wha?), I think it could teach United a thing or two.  As I think I mentioned in a previous blog, the flight attendants all look super smart in their traditional silk garb and, even in economy, there was a decent amount of leg room.  Even better – you get fed!!  Free of charge!!  On the little 40min hop to Bangladesh (this time to a Bagsomewhererandom), we got little freshener towels, some apple juice and peanuts, then on the remaining 2.5hr flight to Bangkok, a hot meal of chicken with noodles which was actually pretty decent!  As with everything in Bhutan, it came with the requisite accompanying pot of chili paste which, of course, I had to try.  Also, UNITED TAKE NOTE – if DrukAir can still give you complementary wine with your meal (a surprisingly good red Cabernet Sauvignon) why do you have to charge me $6 a pop??  The flight itself was good, if a little bumpy in places, but we got to Bangkok without incident, only slightly delayed because of the monsoon weather.

OK, so indulge me here while I go off on a bit of a rantfest.  Now, as the intrepid global traveler I am, I appreciate the value of a good rucksack.  My trusty Camelback has accompanied me around the world and has seen my through many miles of hikes and many adventures.  So what is it with people and their backpacks on public transport (planes, buses, the subway etc) where they promptly double strap it to their back and then seem to promptly forget they are wearing it and thus have no concept of the carnage they leave in their wake as they bash into things, turn round and whack you in the face with it and generally have NO spatial awareness whatsoever.  Keep it on a single-strap, people, so you can move it around and avoid twatting your neighbor in the face or knocking everything in your path over. As mentioned before, mine was absolutely stuffed to the gills with the heaviest items I could get away with that would fit in.  Contained within was a veritable cornucopia of local Bhutanese handicrafts including a yak bell, 2 iron door handles in the shape of a fish, 2 aromatherapy oil burners, a large antique lock and key, some prayer flags and several packets of incense.   It was veeeeeery heavy.  Despite that, though, I resolutely single strapped it, out of consideration for my fellow travelers – and was rewarded with an absolutely interminable bus ride from the place to the international arrivals hall for my trouble.  Given my handbag probably also weighed at least 15lbs due to the computer, iPad, several books and camera inside,  it wasn’t long before I was starting to lose the feeling in both my right arm and my left shoulder.

Finally though we got to the terminal, and I made it through immigration with no problems and with no wait.  Perfect.  Both bags turned up intact (yep – the green one still made it OK) so off I headed to the Novotel again, for my brief stay before my 6am flight tomorrow.  I was, obviously, in a far better mood this time than the last time I was here – that feels sooooo long ago.  The hotel is actually quite nice and there are whole sections of it I didn’t notice in my abject misery and raging despair last time.  Like the really nice rooftop pool and bar that it probably would have been a good idea to chill out in last time, rather than my forlorn and ultimately fruitless schlep into town!!   I swear they’ve had an extra 3 more restaurants installed since last Tuesday – rather than eating in the crappy “International” Lobby restaurant whose breakfast with extra floppy toast I endured the last time, there now appear to be a myriad of other choices, including Thai, Chinese and Japanese.  

So its off to the Japanese restaurant for me now, for a quick bite to eat before just a couple of hours sleep before getting up at 3am, ready for my 6am flight to Tokyo.  Am on my way.....

No comments: