Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 9:
At large in Thimphu
Got up a bit earlier to sit on my balcony, have a cup of tea and update my blog.  Sadly, it was time to wash all the oil out of my hair from the phenomenal massage yesterday before heading down to breakfast.  The food was a bit better today but the man on the Egg Station must have been extremely bored cos I was asked if I wanted eggs at least 8 times!!!  No, thank you, I don’t want eggs.  No, I still don’t want eggs, thank you.  Nope, still good.  (repeat several times).  I’ve already eaten my way round half the world with a gastronomically schizophrenic breakfast (indian chickpea curry and indian pancakes teamed up with herbed potatoes, chicken sausage (bad move) and baked beans with a croissant and doughnut chaser.  Washed down with watermelon juice and coffee.  Add eggs into that mix and God only knows what’ll happen to my guts (which have been remarkably well behaved during this trip, I’m sure you’ll be relieved to know).

Today was going to be a mixture of sightseeing and shopping (yey!) – the first stop was at a local temple in town, the Changangkha Lhakhang.  Here’s what my itinerary says about it:

Changangkha lhakhang
The Chagkha Lhakahng temple is a early medieval Buddhist temple in the capital city Thimphu. The temple is situated on a ridge overlooking the city, near Mohitang on the outskirts of Thimphu. The temple is the oldest temple in Thimphu and was constructed by Lama Phajo Drukgom Zhigpo in the 12 century AD. Lama Phajo Drukgom Zhigpo is also the founder of the Drukpa Kaygo School of Buddhism. The Lhakhang’s central deity is Chenirizig. There is a large statue of Chenrizig, the 11 headed, thousand arm manifestation of Avolokiteshwara. The prayer books in the temple are larger in size compared to the usual Buddhist texts. There are also large prayer wheels and paintings in the walls of the temple. The temple offers an excellent view of the city of Thimphu from its courtyard.

It was here I realized just how lucky I’d been in my visits to all the previous monasteries and temples, as this one was packed with tourists, mainly Korean.  It was a completely different atmosphere to the one I’d got used to experiencing – for one thing, they were taking pictures!!!  TAKING PICTURES!!!  One of the things EVERYONE should know that is completely forbidden inside the temple (along with wearing shoes).  I guess their tour guide hadn’t briefed them well enough and eventually Michael mentioned it to one of the monks inside and they told them to stop.  DURRR.  Though I would never have broken the rules like that, I was a little envious, as they’d got some great pictures of a monk reading from an enormous prayer book – apparently the largest in Bhutan.   Ah well.  Another thing that was different was that I wasn’t allowed into one of the shrines as it was men only – apparently every temple has a particular area that’s just for men, but I hadn’t come across that discrimination before, so it was a little surprising but pointless being annoyed.  Its just the way it is.  Despite not being let into the shrine, though, I did receive yet another blessing – this time, being struck over the head with a dorj, which is supposed to banish demons (and what the Guru Rinpoche used to subdue the demons at Tiger’s Nest – but more on that later!).

Next stop after the less than reverential temple, was the first shopping opportunity of the day – the Jungshi Handmade Paper factory!  It was VERY smelly but fascinating to see how the paper was made - here’s what my itinerary says about it:

Jungshi Handmade Paper Factory
The Jungshi Handmade Paper Factory is a small paper factory located in Thimphu that produces paper using traditional Bhutanese methods. The paper products produced at the factory are made from Daphne or Mulberry plant bark. On you visit to the factory you will see the process from the beginning to the end. The process starts with people pulling the bark off the plant to the process of cooking to create wood pulp to the creation of the final product. There is a small shop at the factory that sells a variety of paper and stationary that is produced from paper made here.

The small shop proved to be a bonanza and I picked up a load of stuff here.   Hand painted paper scrolls, hand made paper and envelopes plus a fantastic photo album with a hand painted picture of the Bhutanese Thunder Dragon on the front that will be perfect for my favourite pictures of the trip.

After the paper factory, it was time to recover from the smell with a nice cup of tea.   Not sure why we stopped for mid-morning tea today (we haven’t been usually) but I’ll never say no to the chance for a good old cuppa, so it was a nice stop.  Bizarrely enough, since coming to Bhutan, I’ve been taking both my tea and coffee black and sweetened with a couple of lumps of sugar.  Sugar!!  I never take sugar in my drinks – what is going on?  But somehow it feels right to drink hot, black sweet tea here.  Strange.

After tea, back into the car and drive out of town a little bit to this viewpoint with an incredible view overlooking the Thimphu valley.  Despite being here over a week now, I haven’t tired of the views yet and they remain unbelievably spectacular. 
 
Then it was time for a trip to the Tapin zoo – a reserve housing the national animal of Bhutan, the Tapin.  My guide described them as lazy and ugly (sounds like a couple of my ex’s) but actually they were kinda cute in their weird goat head, cow body cloven-hooved oddness.   One of them seemed to take an interest so we communed for a bit before he got bored and wandered off, presumably to compare pedicures with his fellow inmates.  There were some deer there too, but no-one really payed them much attention, cos they looked normal rather than their Beelzebubesque neighbours. 

On the way to lunch, the drive took us past the impressive National Parliament buildings and the somewhat less impressive, quite modest in size, Royal Palace.  We took piccies from a distance as its not allowed to take photos up close.  Duly noted and on goes the zoom lens…

Lunch was at the fabtastic Bhutan kitchen again, although today, I think there was extra chili in the Chili and Cheese cos it was fooking hot.  But other than that, the rest of the food was excellent – especially the fresh spinach thing and cabbage.  Yum.

As a post-lunch digestif, it was time to Hit the Huts, the row of 50 traditional craft huts that line the street just directly behind the Tashi Taj.  Here you could buy all the authentic Bhutanese souvenirs your heart desired (plus a sizeable number that are made in India and imported in!) – lots of textiles, woven fabrics for the traditional dress and embroidered silks, masks a’plenty, all manner of fabric bags, purses, scarves, little wine bottle covers fashioned into ghos, lots of paintings of Mr B. and friends as well as prayer flags, embroidered alter decorations and a couple other choices for the pennant hanging thing I’d seen yesterday. 

After much careful deliberation, I ended up buying a yak bell (as you do) as well as a wall hanging and some other various odds and Bhutanese sods.  We then went back into town (right next to where we’d had lunch) to buy the canopy thing I’d seen the previous day (it was bigger and, although the wrong colour, was embroidered with a cool kick ass Thunder Dragon).  We had to call the lady to come open the shop (which she actually did – amazeballs!) but when she got there, she realized she didn’t have her keys with her so her poor son had to then come running with them to let us in!!  So after all that, I didn’t really feel as if I couldn’t buy the canopy!  I also ended up buying some incense and some prayer flags for Loopy, so it was definitely worth her while to open up the store!! 

We were running a little behind schedule after that, so our final two stops were pretty quick.  One was just a very quick scoot round the National Institute of Traditional medicine.  For some reason, photography was not allowed, so it was a quick whizz round looking at various dried herbs and unidentifiable plant materials, with rather uninformative narrative labels, so I was only in there for less than 10 minutes.  Here’s what my itinerary says about it (it will take longer to read this description than I actually spent in the place):

 
National Institute of Traditional Medicine services
The National Institute of Traditional Medicine or the Institute of Traditional Medicine Services is located in the capital city Thimphu. The Institute is situated on a hilltop above the Traditional Arts Center and the National Library of Bhutan. The King directed the Bhutanese Department of Health to establish a traditional medicine system for the welfare of the people of Bhutan and preserve the traditional Bhutanese methods of treatment. An “ Indigenous Dispensary” was opened on 28 June 1968 at Dechencholing in Thimphu, staffed by doctors who were trained in Tibet, which later relocated to present location in Thimphu. The relocated “Indigenous Dispensary” was renamed the National Indigenous Hospital and then later the National Institute of Traditional Medicine. Finally in 1998 the institute was upgraded the Institute of Traditional Medicine Services (ITMS).

Traditional Medicine in Bhutan dates back to the 17th Century to the times of Shabdrung Nagwang Namgyal. Traditional medicine in Bhutan can trace its roots back to Tibet, but ever since it came to Bhutan, Bhutanese traditional medicine evolved and developed completely independent of its Tibetan Ancestors.
The institute produces tradition remedies in laboratories from minerals, animal parts, precious metals, gems and plants. Over 40,000 patients are treated annually at the hospital.  The institute has a training wing that trains people in traditional medicine. There is a 5 year bachelor’s degree course for people who want to become physicians and a three year course in nursing.

Traditional Arts School
After the somewhat underwhelming Trad Med place, it was time to turn our attention to the Traditional Arts, with a visit to the school where they teach all the traditional methods of painting, sculpting, embroidery, woodworking, weaving etc.  Basically, all the skills that are needed to make the houses and buildings I’ve been enjoying since I arrived look completely fab.  It was really interesting to go round the school and its numbered classrooms (you start off in Woodwork I, then progress to Woodwork II after a year, then Woodwork III etc until you graduate from Woodwork V, five years later!)  Its fascinating as absolutely everything they were doing or learning was Buddhist in nature – not one secular piece of arts or crafts in the whole place.   It just goes to remind you how different this world is.
 
After the Arts Institute, we headed back to the hotel, so I was back by 3.30pm.  As we pulled up, a member of the royal family was just leaving in big black SUV which proudly displayed the license plates BHUTAN-2.  Fantastic.  I guess its probably not a huge stretch of the imagination to figure out who has the plates BHUTAN-1?


Following yesterday’s bliss-fest, I’d decided to leave nothing to chance, so had actually booked another wrap and massage at the spa (I’d actually booked another package which included a facial but they said no, two facials in a row was not recommended), so I had to content myself with a mere 2hrs of pampering instead. 

So this time, I went for another scrub/wrap followed by a massage.  Here’s the blurb:

PRITHVI MRIT Earth’s Nectar: This rich detoxifying and firming wrap is made from 22 exotic Indian herbs and clay. Its therapeutic properties tighten the skin and leave it with a radiant, youthful glow. Excellent for all skin types.

VISHRÄ€M Relaxation Massage: A full-body relaxing massage to melt away your stress. Alternating palm and thumb strokes, skilled hands gently work on your tired and sore muscles. Fragrant signature oil blends with the richness of Kewda, Frankincense and Brahmi, infused in Sandalwood and Sesame are used for this massage to release tension, bringing ease and tranquility to your entire system.

So the wrap was lovely but I pretty much smelt like a chicken jalfrezi, all wrapped up in the special blend of Indian herbs and spices.  All I could think about, though, as she massaged the scrub into my body was how desperately I needed a pedicure and how ridiculously long and lethal my toenails had become.  I kept trying to point my foot downwards, so as to do my best to avoid stabbing her with my big toe talon, but all I could think about were the headlines “Therapist Killed in Freak Toenail Incident” and how I’d never get bail for such a heinous crime and end up spending the rest of my days in a (very nicely painted, no doubt) Bhutanese hell-hole prison.  Funny where your mind takes you when you’re completely immobile, smelling like curry, wearing a paper thong and trying not to fart.  Yes, I spoke too soon.  My guts had just decided, moments before heading down to the spa, to potentially think about starting to misbehave.  I think my schizophrenic breakfast was coming back to exact its revenge. 

Anyway, I didn’t stab my therapist to death by accident with my toenails, so all was well and the rest of the treatment was lovely (especially the shower where I had to wash off the scrub, so managed to concurrently deflate just a little…).  After my treatments, it was time for dinner, so this time I went to the authentic local Bhutanese restaurant at the Taj.  When I got there, I was the only person in there so, despite it being very stylish, it was a little lacking in atmosphere!  A couple other folk turned up, and got chatting to this couple from India and the guy was celebrating his 50th birthday.  

The food was OK, better than in the main restaurant, but still not brilliant (I plumped for Set menu 2).   My waitress started off by pouring me a cup of Himalayan gooseberry tea from a very ornate teapot followed by a little amuse bouche dish of local puffed rice mixed with butter and sugar.  Crunch alert!!  Those little suckers were tasty but tough on the teeth!  Also on the menu was riverweed and pulled beef soup – god only knows what riverweed is, but it tasted like the same type of seaweedy stuff you get in miso soup, so I’m sure it was doing me good. 
 
Did a bit more blogging sitting out on the terrace after dinner – the Minister of Agriculture was there, on the patio below having a party.  Everyone seemed to be having a good time with lots of singing and dancing – it was very reminiscent of a Scottish ceileidgh, but with less violence and swearing.  



Then, after a quick scamper round to try and take some decent night time shots of the hotel (not possible, too close up!), it was time to call it a night, re-introduce myself to my Tranquility pillow and fall asleep reminiscing on what has been a fabulous few days at the Taj.



Day 9: Bhutan, a girl could get quite used to this sort of luxury, you know?

No comments: