Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 13: Phase II Operation Reverse GlobeTrot
Bangkok - Tokyo

So up and off to the airport – no problems checking in this time and, as it was ridiculously early, there were no lines at security or the immigration point, so that was good.  All the stores in the airport were closed and I guess 3.30am is when everyone does all their cashing out and paperwork from the previous day’s take, as all the store employees were sitting in their stores, heads bent over calculators and reams of paper.  It was then that one of the other aspects of having been in Bhutan hit me too – the complete absence of the consumerism and label-driven culture that was suddenly confronted with, with rows upon rows of high-end stores in the airport.  In Bhutan, they truly live by their mantra that “Happiness is a Place” and don’t look to external objects or possessions to bring them joy.  I envy them that, and maybe if even a little bit of that mindset rubs off on me, then this trip will continue to enrich my life, long after it’s over.

In a somewhat contemplative mood, I headed off to the Thai Airlines lounge – not an easy task as it was hidden on a different floor to the one I’d be wandering up and down looking for it on.  Again, it was pretty quiet due to the early hour, so I pretty much had the run of the coffee machine and the sandwich selection all to myself (white bread cheese sandwiches – mmMMmmm).  Avoided the steamed buns – just too damned early to risk eating something I can’t actually see. 

After about an hour, it was time to wander off to the gate.  Clearing the final bit of United security, I had to stand on a little box and get frisked.  Not entirely sure how being 4 inches off the ground enhances security but there you are.  It made for a slightly more exciting screening that the usual.

Back in business class (its amazing how quickly you can get re-used to it again!) and as I was settling in, an older lady came up to ask me if I would mind moving to her seat so that she could sit with her friend.  I actually preferred my original seat, but it seemed like the nice thing to do and I’d feel like such a tool to say no (plus I’d then have to sit next to her friend, feeling like a tool, for the next 6hrs).  So, from 9J to 13B I went.   Which is where I am now.  I’ve just realized I left my Ambien in my checked baggage, so no sleep on this flight for me!  So, nothing left to do but be a complete lush and accept the free glass of complementary champagne – despite it only being 5.30am (its traditional, what can I say?) and, as United always urge, to sit back, relax and enjoy the flight.  SF – I’m on my way home.

No comments: