Saturday, June 09, 2012

Day 5: Padtselling Festival in Bumthang
After a good night’s sleep that didn’t involve waking up at 3am cos of jetlag, it was time to get up, have a shower and head down for breakfast.  After about 5 mins of twiddling the various knobs on the shower but with still nothing but icy water to show for my efforts, I realized that I needed to have turned the boiler on first (the large white object in the corner of the shower I’d only just noticed).  So, brekkie first then shower, I guess!  Breakfast again was yummy if inauthentic – cornflakes (with warm milk!), strawberries, eggs and toast with dollops of Royal Bhutan marmalade and strawberry jam.  The tea was made using big old fashioned hot water thermos flasks with cork stoppers – I felt as if I was in an Enid Blyton picnic! (save for the lashings of ginger beer!).   The owner of the guest house, a wrinkled old Nepalese chap, came and plonked himself down at my table (a little disconcerting before I realized who it was!) and started chatting.  I could understand him a bit, but mostly it was a case of smiling and nodding and throwing in a few comments about how fab his guest house was and how good the food is.  That seemed to suffice.  Honestly, I wanted to tell him to go away and leave me in peace as I was trying to read through Loopy’s comments on my Facebook photos, but I don’t think that would have gone down too well….

After breakfast and enough time for the water heater to do its magic, it was time to for a quick shower – this time I KNEW there was hot water in there somewhere, I just had to figure out the magic combination of turns and dial twists to get to it.  It took me longer than it probably should have (my degree is in Pharmacology, not hydrothermodynamics!), but finally I managed to coax some (boiling!) hot water out of the little sod.  Celebrate the little victories, right?

Then it was time for today’s main event – going to see the festival at Padtselling temple.  Because of the debacle with my visa and being on my itinerary a day later than I should have been, I was worried that I would have missed it.  Not to fear, though, as these festivals last for a full three days, so I was catching it in its second day.  To get to the temple, we then embarked on the CRAZIEST drive yet – an hour’s “drive” up the mountain on the road which was no more than a mud track.  It was a new “road” only having been built a year ago and I am still in complete disbelief we managed to get a car up there.   It would have been challenging on a mountain bike to navigate the deep muddy ruts and furrows but somehow Michael managed to coax this little 4 wheel drive Hyundai through the muddy carnage and get us safely to the top.  Where, again, the views of Bumthang valley below were simply breathtaking. 

The festival itself was in full swing when we arrived.  The chief abbot, monks and dancers were seated, chanting, and looked to be taking a tea-break.  While they were doing that, we had a look round the temple itself – because of the festival, it was the busiest I’d ever seen a temple, with lots of people praying and making offerings.  Again, I received a blessing from one of the monks, a boy probably around 13-14 – this time, it was an oddly smelling orange liquid that got poured into my palm for me to slurp and rub the rest on the top of my head.  We shall see what effect that unknown unction will have on my guts later, I guess.

After a while, all the cushions and low tables got cleared, everyone filed past the enormous paintings of the Buddha to pay their respects and then the dancing started in earnest.  It was so colourful and fantastic to watch – they alternated between 6 dancers (3 men, 3 women) and then the monks performing, wearing a variety of different masks, acting out various legends and stories.   The whirling and leaping and twisting and athletisicm was impressive – what was unexpected, but equally as entertaining, were the 4 jesters also sprinkled throughout the proceedings.  One of them (the Divine Madman) carried a 10 inch wooden phallus and proceeded to get up to all sorts of high jinks and pranks on the crowd, the dancers and the monks.  It was actually pretty funny and you could imagine how the same slapstick has been playing out here for generations – some things never get old.

After a couple of hours of watching and madly taking hundreds of pictures, it was time for lunch and I thought we were actually going to be leaving and heading back down the mountain – but, no!  The guest house had packed us up a delicious picnic lunch and, after some searching, we managed to find a grassy spot in amongst the mud banks, overlooking the valley, where my trusty guide unpacked a delicious Indian-style lunch.  Again, it was packed up in adorable little thermos containers – makes me want to rush out and buy an old-fashioned picnic hamper!

After lunch, we went back for another hour or so to watch more dancing, before finally calling it a day around 3pm.  Bouncing down the mud track in our trusty little Hyundai was much easier this time, as the “road” had dried out from this morning, so it was less sludgy and slippy.  Coming back down only took 20 mins, vs the hour it took to crawl our way up.  I still can’t believe we actually got a car up that road – mud-a-licious!  So, but the time we got down, it was around 3.30pm, so just enough time to take a quick trip and have a look round Jakar Dzong. 


I’m getting to be a bit of a Dzong Aficionado so, though it was still impressive and Dzongy enough, this one didn’t make my heart burst into….um.. Dzong.

Anyway, back to the guest house by 4pm (we seem to always be done by about 4pm!) and again, settled into the routine of working on my pictures and catching up on my blog.   Got about 500 pictures to go through of the Festival, so that should keep me busy for a couple of evenings!!

Day 5: Bhutan, you put on quite a show for me today.  Do you do this for all the girls?







No comments: