Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The wait is almost over!!....
After months of waiting and slowly building excitement, its almost over.  No - am not talking about the election this time (although I can't stop grinning today!) but my uber-trip to Indochina!!  Have just about finished all my preps - the washing, packing, cleaning, emptying out the fridge, taking out the rubbish, stocking up on cat food and cat litter, so all I have left to do tomorrow is a little last bit of work before saying goodbye to the boys and heading off to the airport!!  Dylan and Izzie know that something is afoot as they've been extra clingy this evening but, as long as they don't manage to lock themselves in my bedroom whilst I'm away, I'm sure they'll get over it pretty quickly! (thanks, Conor!)

Its funny - as you already know, I travel A LOT for work and, when its a work trip, I don't usually give a second thought to what could go tits-up (other than the recurring plane crash nightmare, but thats another story!).  BUT when I'm travelling exclusively for pleasure, on holiday, I suddenly start to worry about stupid things like "I hope my ticket is OK" and "what if my Visa isn't right?".  I know its not logical and everything will be fine, but I guess you're more on your own, rather than having the work safety net to fall back on.  My only genuine mild concern is about my visas and hoping they were processed correctly - but again, I'm sure it's all going to be fine, so am trying not to worry!  

So, just an additional note on the election - walking home from Union Square last night was a very surreal experience, as complete strangers became friends and high-fived you in the street and cabbies and truck drivers tooted their horns as they drove past, matching your cheers of celebration.  The feeling persisted into today when, walking to work, again, everyone was smiling at each other, making *shock horror* eye contact  and basically behaving the complete opposite to how New Yorkers usually behave!  Everyone had somehow come together - just for a few more hours to continue to revel in the shared experience of being a part of history in the making, united by our hopes for a better future for America and the world.  

No comments: