Sunday, November 09, 2008

Tip of the Day: sushi when feeling queasy is not a good lunch choice
So only quick note because in 20mins, we’re finally off – the official start of the cycling holiday! Yesterday’s transfer to the Bong Sen 2 hotel was very smooth and – huzzah – there was a room for me, so that’s an auspicious start! I had a late lunch at a place called Sushi Bar (my original choice having been converted into a Pizza Hut!) and it probably wasn’t the wisest choice of cuisine given I was still feeling a little nauseous. There was one piece of sushi that I have no idea what it was (I think it might have been a giant marine tapeworm or something) but in my gung-ho-ness attitude I tried it anyway – big mistake! One chew in and it was clear I was eating something that clearly should never have been suggested as suitable for human consumption. It was vile. I just stopped chewing and swallowed it before it could register its noxiousness anymore on my taste buds and washed away the horribleness with a big slug of sushi. Yeeuuchh!!

After that traumatic experience, went and had a quick lie down before meeting the rest of the group at 6pm for our briefing. I’ll give you more details as the trip goes on but they seem like a fun crowd (some, on first impressions seem more lively than others) – and – relax, everyone – no single guys under the age of 50, so no chance of finding love amongst the bike spokes this time! After orientation mtg, went out for dinner at The Temple Club – a bit like Tao but without the 40ft high Buddha statue. Food was excellent but Damian, our tour guide, did warn us not to get used to the poshness of this particular restaurant. So, now finishing packing, ready for our 7.30am departure. Yep. 7.30am. And this is one of the later ones! Hang on – aren’t I supposed to be on holiday or something?!!!

No comments: