Thursday, November 06, 2008

Are we there yet?
I’m finally off!! Did most of my last-minute leaving chores yesterday night, so only had a couple bits and bobs to do before heading off at 10am – until, that is, Izzie very helpful hacked up an unbelievably large quantity of Whiskas kibble onto the duvet. So an emergency trip to the basement laundry was needed – there’s just no way I’m coming home to THAT after 2 and a half weeks! What the hell is it with my cats and my bed? Are they trying to tell me something?? Why don’t they just write me a note?

Anyway, despite the cats best efforts to throw me off my schedule (I think they were conspiring to try and prevent me from leaving), I managed to leave the apartment on time at 10am, allowing plenty of time to get to JFK for my 12.50pm flight. It was a bit busy leaving Manhattan but we got to the Midtown tunnel fairly smoothly, but then a few mins later, we pretty much stopped, prompting the following internal dialogue: “Oh bugger….. Traffic…... Well its OK – no problem…… I’ve got plenty of time……... Hmm.. this traffic is really bad, but its still OK……… Oh no, its started to pee it down with rain – this isn’t going to help. ...... I wonder what’s going on anyway……. OK… I hope this clears soon…. Its starting to get a bit tight now…. No, don’t panic…. There’s nothing you can do about it…. Stay calm, it’ll be OK…..GET A BLOODY MOVE ON!!! COME ON, PEOPLE!!!...... *breathe*… I wonder if my insurance policy covers this?.....Oooh – what are those flashing lights ahead?....OK – hopefully see whats going on in just a minute…...IS THAT IT?? …A whole bloody lane closed off to park a truck in??... No spectacular pile-up or shedding of lorry’s loads? ….What is this world coming too?......OK traffic moving now…..Phew… I think I’ll still make it…”

After all of that, I was 5mins later than originally planned arriving at the airport.

So am flying with Korean Air, out of JFK’s Terminal 1 and I’m usually here waving Mum off, as it’s also the terminal for Turkish Airlines too. But, this time, its just me, my very unbusinesslike backpack and camera tripod ready to take on the world! I’m flying to Ho Chi Minh City via Seoul – the first flight being 14hrs long, the second another 6hrs. I’m due to land in Saigon at about 10.20pm local time and hopefully there will be a little man with my name on a sign waiting for me to take me to my hotel in the city! Checked in all fine at the desk (so my Vietnamese visa has at least past first muster!) and went straight through airport security as there were no lines. Am pleased to report there are still some residual effects of the Obama lovefest that engulfed the city yesterday – as my rucksack was going through the security X Ray machine, one of the security guards exclaimed “Hey, an Obama pin!” prompting smiles all round. And eye contact again. Usually, you share eye contact with an airport security officer, the next thing you know you’re bending over a table listening to the sound of latex gloves being snapped on. Apparently.

First time flying with Korean Air on business class and have to say am impressed so far. Was a bit concerned, given they are code share partners with Delta that it all would be a bit crap, but its actually very nice. Am writing this about half way into my 14hr flight to Seoul and so far its been a very pleasant experience. The seats are pretty roomy, I’ve already managed to get some sleep so am feeling peachy and my personal mission to eat as many forms and types of Asian food (non-moving) I can over the next 2 and half weeks has already started!

For lunch, had this traditional Korean dish called bimibibap (or something) and it came with a little instruction sheet to tell you how to construct the dish! I can actually boast a little here and say that I already knew what to do - I’d been to a little Korean place on my street called Do Sirak (see – I was taking my training for this trip very seriously!), so already knew about the “dump it in and stir it up” concept! It must be great to be a kid in Korea – its part and parcel of the dining experience to play with your food! The meal also came with this great pair of silver chopsticks that are totally going to get added to my airline flatware collection on my return journey! (alas, no teaspoon yet!). However, I’ve also discovered that (unlike my Aer Lingus trip!), the Koreans don’t have a heavy hand when in comes to the inflight beverage service as I’ve just had the tiniest glass of champagne I’ve ever seen! I didn’t know champagne came that small! The hostess also passed me over initially for a glass of port with my cheese too – I’m thinking “not so fast honey, I’m paying for this ticket out of my own pocket so it intend to get my full money’s worth!!”

But so far, so good. Also lucked out with the guy sitting next to me – very nice chap called Yves who also happens to be a pilot. Result!!! Means my totally uncool and irrational fear of turbelence can be happily set aside for this flight – if he’s not worried, I’m not worried! If, though, he does start to look uneasy at any stage of the flight, at least I’ve now written my will!

Just been fed again. Korean beef stew this time and very tasty.

And – hey! – I can see Russia from my window! (does this mean I’m now qualified to run for public office?)

Flight path is quite interesting – leaving New York, we flew over the Finger Lakes (hello, my old campsites and crap wineries!), up past Chicago and over the Great Lakes. I then fell asleep, so by the time I woke up, we were flying over the Artic Circle. As you’d expect, very white, lots of snow and lots of disturbingly large looking cracks in the ice. I think we are truly all buggered by global warming. Currently we’re now flying over Russia – I’m trying to take some good pics but, as any photographer knows, it’s almost impossible to get the focus right but, even if they’re a bit blurry, you’ll get the general idea. The landscape below reminds me a lot of Patagonia – very desolate and empty but hauntingly beautiful.

OK – enough of this. Time to check out the inflight entertainment. Next time I write, I’ll probably be in Saigon! Whooo-hoo!!!

No comments: