Monday, June 30, 2008

Just how few calories do you need per day before a Slim Jim starts to look like a tasty and attractive snack option?

In case you've ever asked yourself the question above, in moments of quiet gastronomic reflection, I can now tell you that the answer is 1,600. Thats how many calories I'm currently on a day here at New Life - the relative paucity of which has to be the reason why the mechanically separated chicken snack (so thoughtfully provided by the lovely Charles) started to impinge on my consciousness as a viable protein choice late this afternoon. Back out in Old Life, I'd rather gnaw my own fingers to the bone in preference to even remotely considering eating one of those flexible fructosian fiends, so I knew urgent, remedial action was needed! So, after dinner (which was very tasty - just bugger all of it!), I quietly snuck out of NL and high-tailed it to the local grocery store for supplies! I had an alibi all ready in case of discovery (I actually also needed to buy deoderant too, so there was a legit reason for my visit) but fortunately it wasnt needed. As it happens, I bought very healthy snacks - blueberries, almonds, yoghurt raisins (went a little crazy there) and organic 85% dark chocolate (physiologically impossible to eat more than 2 squares at a time) so even if the diet Nazi's had tackled me to the ground on my return and demanded to see my caloric contraband, at least there wouldnt have been illicit bags of Doritos and Cheez-Its spilling forth from my rucksack!

No comments: