Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 1: Let the chillin' out commence!
Ahhh.... What an absolutely perfect day it's been. An ideal blend of being outside, inside, active and relaxed. Already feel significantly more relaxed and chilled out - and its only Day 1!! Think I'm going to have to be poured back onto the plane come next Saturday!!

So, breakfast at 8am was grapefruit with sprinkles of coconut, followed by oatmeal lightly sweetened with maple syrup. Again, delicious. I'm amazed, though, how completely obsessed everyone is with food - thats all people talked about at dinner last night and at breakfast again this morning!! Even whilst we were eating brekkie, people were speculating what would be for lunch!! I guess i'm loving the food cos i eat this way normally, but there is a significant amount of grumbling about the lack of salt, sugar and the rest. I'm probably one of the only folk in here who's not plotting to escape to the local bakery down the road or the pub across the street to fill up on contraband pastries or beer!

After breakfast, was time for my first hike. I totally had to laugh at myself this morning because, dressed in all my full-on hiking gear, with boots, thick socks, Camelbak and Buzz-off insect repelling shirt. With not a scrap of make-up on (I didnt even bring it with me this week!) and hair stuffed under a floppy hat, I'd be surprised if anyone from work would have recognized me! Chose the "nature walk" - NLHS code for "beginners" but it was perfect for what i was after. About 4miles or so, dirt road over gently rolling hills, leading us through the forest to finish at a very pretty waterfall. The weather was perfect with the sun shining and a light breeze (although it was a little sticky) and there weren't too many bugs about so I dont think i got chomped too badly. I had all my camera kit with me (Sam would have been proud!) and even lugged my tripod so I could take some pics of the waterfall. There were also lots of beautiful (and enormous!) butterflies which was a real treat to see - you dont get many of those down on 13th St!!

After walk, back to hotel in time for lunch. Today was a lentil soup, followed by tuna salad - yum! After lunch, I had a slightly more active afternoon than yesterday as I decided to do all 3 exercise classes back to back. First up was Pilates, then strength training followed by Fit Ball. The same lady taught all three (so I was mildly competitive in wanting to keep up with her!) and, to be honest, it wasnt massively strenuous in terms of being aerobically challenging. She focused very heavily on core work throughout each of her classes, so i'm sure my abs are going to have something to say about it tomorrow!! For now they feel fine, but we'll see!! After the last class finished at 5pm, I had just enough time to jump in the inside hot tub, followed by a dip in the much cooler pool, then hot tub etc etc. My shoulder is still giving me a bit of trouble so I'm reliably informed that will help! Also hoping it will pre-empt any stiffness from today's exertions too.

Then time for a quick shower before dinner which today was salad, a chicken/soba noodle combo, followed by peach cobbler. Alas had misfortune to sit at table with the very loud and annoying people (sadly, from New York) but fairly successfully managed to tune them out until one of them started telling me this very long-winded, convoluted and ultimately not very interesting story about how he met a Bowes-Lyon on the Hamptons Jitney. YAWN!! Managed to feign sufficient interest until the peach cobbler was finished and then scarpered at the first opportunity! I'm fairly laid-back but even i have limits!! Anyway, now writing this as I wait for my first spa treatment, a full body deep tissue massage with Chuck - he's supposed to be excellent. I reckon after he's done, i'm heading straight for bed!!!

No comments: