Thursday, July 16, 2015

Its showtime!

Its finally here.

Tomorrow I get on the plane to fly to San Francisco for my Napa half-marathon on Sunday.  After all the months of training, its a bit surreal to know that it will all be over in a few days - but I'm ready for it, so bring it on!  I only got back from Zurich yesterday (where i've been for the last week and a bit) so I'm a bit spaced out at the moment, so this will be a fairly short blog post.  BUT I will blog over the weekend for you (by Sunday evening, my fingers will probably be the only part of my body that won't hurt!) to keep you posted.  AND if you are really REALLY bored on Sunday and want to follow my progress in painfully slow real-time, then I've just had the link through from the Race Organizer Timing people, giving me my chip number and the website where you can log in and follow me as I zombie shuffle my way from Napa to Sonoma.   My bib number is 4221.  The "race" starts at 7am local time.  God help me.

https://www.racemine.com/Destination-Races/events/2015/Napa-to-Sonoma-Wine-Country-Half-Marathon-2015/track

How much have I raised?

Well, I'll post the final scores on the doors on Saturday evening (polls close at 4pm!) but, as of now, my fundraising total is just over $9,000!!! (including matching gifts).   Given my initial target was just $1000, that's just bonkers!!   While I am deeply grateful to everyone who has donated, I wanted to give a special shout-out to my top 5 donors who've been so incredibly generous - THANK YOU Dad, Kirsten, Lisa, Maria and Rachel!  This blog post is dedicated to you.

So, its been quite the journey, hasn't it?  In case you haven't been on my email trails since I started this epic adventure back in April, here are the update emails below I've sent out over the course of the last 13 weeks.  Its quite fun to read back through them - who knew when I started out that I'd end up where I am today?!  I'll be able to confirm on Saturday but I think I've made it into the national top 10 fundraisers (out of 671 people!) - whoo hoo!

And my plans for after the race?  Well, I think the video below summarizes my post-race plans perfectly.... hydration, hydration, hydration....


***************
Start from the bottom and read up.... the total I quoted below is already out of date!!

From: Sarah
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2015 11:01 AM
Subject: Its showtime!

The training is complete. 

Tomorrow, I fly to SFO to race on behalf of the Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America in the Napa Half-Marathon this Sunday.  Over the last 4 months, I’ve run more miles than I thought I was ever capable of, I’ve met some truly inspirational people, I’ve gained friends and lost 20lbs.  Much to my surprise and mild amusement, I seem to have become “a runner”.

THANK YOU for being part of this journey with me – as of today, our combined efforts have raised over $8,500 for the CCFA, a truly astonishing amount (remember, my original target was $1000!).  Thank you to everyone who has contributed – please know that this money will make a real difference in the lives of patients who struggle every day with this devastating disease.

BUT WAIT!  IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO BE PART OF THE TEAM!!  If you’ve been waiting til the last minute to donate, then the time is now!  Here’s the link to my fundraising website – every single penny helps and instant good karma is guaranteed! http://online.ccfa.org/goto/Sholloway

So, all that’s left to say is again, thank you – and wish me luck! 
Onwards!
Sarah

From: Sarah
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 9:21 AM
Subject: Just over 2 weeks to go til Napa.....and you've rocked it out - again!

Once again, you did it!  If you remember about a month ago, I asked you for help to smash through my stretch target of raising $5000 for the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America.   Well, you did it.   As of today, the total stands at $5,018!!!  That is an incredible achievement, so again, a whole-hearted THANK YOU to everyone for your generosity and support.  When the Takeda match donations are added in (both individually and at a corporate level) the total increases to a staggering amount, over $8000!  With this amount, Takeda has a good chance of being in the National Top 10 fundraisers, so wouldn’t that be a fantastic result?

Training-wise, with just over 2 weeks to go, I’m in a good spot.  I did my longest training run last weekend and think I have a shot at actually running the whole thing.  Amazing when back in March I could barely manage 2 miles!   My sincerest thanks to coach Bill for his expertise and patience in taking a non-runner who loathes running - and making them into a runner who still loathes running, but who will now be able to puff her way round 13.1 miles without fear of imminent cardiac collapse!  Believe me, he’s put up with a LOT of grief over the last 13 weeks…..

If you haven’t yet donated and would still like to, it’s not too late – you can donate right up to race day.  Here’s the link to my fund-raising website, so please stop by and donate what you can – absolutely every penny helps. http://online.ccfa.org/goto/Sholloway

Also, just a final plea – please take a moment to fill out the matching gift request form.  I know it’s a bit of a pain and not the most intuitive, but I would hate to leave any money on the table that could instead go to the CCFA.

Thank you again – wish me luck on Jul 19th!!
Sarah

From: Sarah
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:25 AM
Subject: Less than 8 weeks to go! CCFA Fundraising update - and a final challenge!

Remember back in April when I first reached out to ask for your help in reaching my original fundraising target of $1000?  

Well, look how far we’ve come since then.  Because of your continued generosity, you’ve exceeded my latest target of $3500 and, as of today, the total now stands at $3603!   My sincerest thanks to all who have donated so far – as I continue to slog my way through the training (its NINE miles this Saturday - yikes), your enthusiastic support is making all the difference.

So, I’m raising the bar just one more time.  I’d like to reach a total of $5000 by the end of June.   This would be a truly spectacular effort – and its well within reach, with just under $1400 left to go!  (for those of you new to this email chain, welcome – I’m running a half-marathon in July to raise money for charity - I hope you don’t mind me looping you in for this final push!).   Here’s the link to my personal fundraising page, so please feel free to stop by and give what you can.  If nothing else, you’ll get to see what a traffic cone running a 5K looks like.  http://online.ccfa.org/goto/Sholloway

For those of you who have already donated, please consider taking just an extra moment to fill out the matching gift form so that the CCFA gets the full benefit of your contribution.  Its very easy (just make sure you select Illinois chapter for the CCFA )

Thank you again to everyone for your support – both in donations and words of encouragement.  I know when I stagger over the finish line in July that I’ll be able to look back and say this will be one of those life achievements of which I’m most proud.  Thanks to all for being a part of it.

Onwards!!
Sarah

From: Sarah
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 11:09 AM
Subject: Fundraising update - and a new challenge!

You guys rock.

Seriously.

Because of your incredible generosity and support, I’ve already blown past my original target of $1000, exceeded my new target of $2000 and have raised the staggering total of $2150 in just over a week!  A profound and sincere THANK YOU to all of you who have donated so far – although I wouldn’t say I’ve reached the dizzy heights of actually enjoying running yet, at least its making the long hours and early mornings of training worthwhile to know so much money has already been raised for such a great cause.  I ran a 5K at the weekend (picture attached for proof!) and, for the first time ever, managed to run the whole thing without stopping, so there is a faint glimmer of hope I may yet actually survive the half marathon in July.

However, all this running and racing has awakened my (until now very well-hidden) competitive nature and now I want to see just how much money I can raise.  So, I’m now raising my official target from $2000 to $3500!   Although I’ve only been training for about a month, I’ve already met some incredibly inspirational people, so want to push myself as hard as I can to raise as much money as possible for them and the CCFA.   Anything you can donate will be very gratefully received and my sincerest thanks again to those of you who have already supported me.  It’s the first time I’ve ever done anything like this, so I’m blown away by how generous everyone has been.

I’ll send you another update closer to the race – or when I hit the $3500 target!  Only $1350 to go….. J

Thanks again!
Sarah

From: Sarah
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 9:58 AM
Subject: I need your help!

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I need your help!  I have recently decided to take on a huge challenge.  I have committed to race a half marathon (13.1 miles) this July! I am doing it for a great cause too-- to help find a cure for Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis. I am running with a great team called Team Challenge, a team organized by the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation to help raise funds to support research, patient education, and support programs. My goal is to raise $ 1000 by May 18th to help find a cure for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.

In case you don’t know this about me – I am not what you would call a natural runner.  In fact, I’d almost go as far as to say I actively dislike running immensely.  The furthest I have ever run before is a 5K Hallowe’en race – and that was dressed as a penguin, so I’m not sure that really counts. To go straight from that to signing up for a half marathon is sheer craziness.  To achieve it, I have committed to getting up at 6am every Saturday through the summer for the group training, as well as 3 additional runs during the week. 

So why on earth am I doing it? 

I spend my days at work thinking about patients with GI diseases like IBD, IBS, celiac disease for example, and how to best guide Takeda to find new treatments that will meet the needs these patients still have and allow them to manage their disease and live their lives. But given the long timelines involved in drug discovery, this can mean that the impact of my efforts may sometimes not be seen for many years.  My decision to devote my summer to this cause and training allows me a real-time expression of commitment, today, to improving the lives and well being of the patients whose needs I try and serve every day when I go to work.

I have already met some truly inspirational people during training so far.  One of them is a fellow Doctor Who nerd like myself, a 13 year old called Kyle. When he was just six years old, Kyle started losing blood. Finally, results from a colonoscopy gave his parents a name for all the symptoms he had faced for so long: ulcerative colitis. Kyle began a journey of steroids, medication, and dietary restrictions. At eight years old, he faced three blood transfusions in the same year. Kyle now receives an intravenous medication every eight weeks to help give him color in his cheeks, energy, and a chance at a more normal life. Through it all, Kyle never complains. He faces ulcerative colitis with a brave face, positive attitude, and a true desire to give back and help others.

Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are known together as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). These are painful, medically incurable illnesses that attack the digestive system. The cause remains unknown. The mission of CCFA is to find a cure for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, and to improve the quality of life of children and adults affected by these diseases.

Again, my personal goal is to raise $ 1000 for the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America. Please consider supporting me in my effort by donating to CCFA. Time is of the essence! I need to reach my goal by May 18th. You can make a secure online donation by visiting my website at: http://online.ccfa.org/goto/Sholloway (colleagues - PLEASE remember to fill out the matching gift donation form – thank you!)

I will also be accepting Advil, well wishes, ice packs, pity and a personal cheering section on race day.

Thank you for your generosity and support. 
Warmest regards,
Sarah

3 comments:

mumsiemumsie said...

Good luck darling, its been an exciting journey so far. Well done for training in all weathers , terrains and time constraints,a real commitment . Huge thank you to everyone who has donated to the cause , you will do them proud ! Loved the ad ! Be thinking about you during the race, not clever enough to work out how to follow you so shall be watching out for your over the finish line on Facebook . lots of love xxxxxxx

Ashley said...

Best of luck Sarah. So sorry I am leaving San Francisco tomorrow morning but I will be thinking of you every step of every mile as I luxuriate in my flat bed seat flying across the country at 500 mph drinking wine and watching movies. I will feel each moment with you from the comfort of my snuggly bed wrapped up in those lovely duvets from American Airlines. God love you for what you are doing!!!! :)

Ashley said...

Forgot to say the ad was fabulous. I miss their show - I wish it was back on the telly. Made me laugh. Made me think of Duchess when he ran the Honolulu marathon. We flew over to support him on his charity marathon run. Remind me to tell of the story when he came across the finishing line and we went to a bar. No kidding!!! But then again, I am sure that doesn't surprise you. Have a great day tomorrow and we will be cheering you along all the way xxxxx