Saturday, July 18, 2015

High drama at the pre-race party!

This is it.  By this time tomorrow, it will all be over.  In an hour, we leave for the pre-race pasta party, hosted by the CCFA, and then that will be it.  Showtime.  Its been already been an eventful trip so far - yesterday, we had the Takeda celebration party where awards were given for the top 10 fundraisers.  I had been on the top for the last 10 weeks or so and, going in to the evening, was a good $3000 or so clear of the number 2 person.  As you know, I'm really competitive (its a strength and a weakness) so it had become important to me that I'd be able to say that I raised the most money.  I was feeling very confident of my top fundraiser status going into the evening, so, imagine my shock when I got pipped at the post and beaten into second place by $250!!  The number 2 had had a late surge of donations in the last few hours, banking one particular donation of $2500!   There was no way I could compete with that!  I was pretty gutted and  I'm ashamed to say I was a very sore loser, so hiking Grumpy Face made a reappearance and didn't budge until I woke up this morning, got over myself and regained some valuable perspective.  At the end of the day, I couldn't be prouder of what I've achieved and this journey I've been on.  

OK - gotta run - time to get on the bus to go to the pasta party!  Carbo-loading, here I come!
My friend and colleague, JI, taking a cheeky
conference call at the airport before our flight
Dunno where this is but it was gorgeously scenic
flying over it
I think I've earned this.
View from the Silverado winery where the Takeda party was held

A perfect spot for breakfast at the Silverado resort
Breakfast of champions! Getting full value out of
the $26 breakfast buffet!!
Second breakfast.  Cheeky waffle chaser to finish
off my pre-race training plan!
The beautiful Silverado resort and spa.  Not too shabby, is it?


Discovered that golf courses and going for nice long walks in
the woods are not a good mix..... Who knew you weren't supposed
to go walking on a golf course?? 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can imagine grumpy face making a return, but soops you are the 2nd biggest fundraiser out of over 3500 people! i would be chuffed as monkeys, and in the end the charity will benefit hugely from your efforts so put away grumpy face and slap on "wait, look what i have done!! i am awesome cos i went out there and did it and research has gone forward to making these peoples lives more comfortable and more in reach of a cure... and i did that!" you should be very proud as we all are of you! And hey, how do golfers go across the course? i know they think they above everyone else, but they have to walk to! bugger the lot of grumpy sad gits! and it is a beautiful place and i would have scarfed down 2 of those breakfasts! good luck to you and will be tracking you too, lots love and well dones xxxxxxxxxxxx

mumsiemumsie said...

What Louise said ! Very proud of you , as always xxxxxxxxx

Dad said...

Ditto x x x x