Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Day 2, Part 2: Stopping to smell the Lavender....
Girl, machine and berries in perfect harmony
By the time i'd finally left the heliport, it was only about 2pm, so plenty of time remaining to explore and make sure to get full value out of that pre-paid full tank of gas.  I had decided against attempting the Road to Hana drive - its one of the most spectacular roads in the world (think tropical Pacific Highway 1) but it takes a good couple of hours at least and, with just me driving, I wouldnt actually get to see much other than the whites of my knuckles gripping the steering wheel!  So, given my early-as-hell start tomorrow morning, I decided to stay closer to home and go and investigate the Lavender farm in Kula.

Never knowingly pass up a Retail Opportunity....
I've pretty much got the hang of the roads now (there's really only about 3 of them that you need to know about), so it was a very pleasant half hour drive along Route 37, the Haleakala highway.  Again, the weather was absolutely gorgeous (81 degrees - yeah!), so the top was down, the shades were on and life was good!!  En route to the lavender farm, I came across this very cute little farm shop, so (of course) wandered in and bought some delicious, juicy strawberries that had just been picked that day, some black raspberries (which I've never seen before but are also grown and packed locally in Kula) as well as a couple of jars of strawberry jam (one is strawberry and pepper - hmmm..., the other strawberry and pineapple) and a bottle of mango dressing, perfect for salads and fish.

Yep...there's a definite Cornish vibe here.....

After my little pit(ted fruit) stop, just another 5 mins drive or so brought me to the Ali'i Kula Lavender farm, where bushes of the fragrant lovelies are strewn about the hillside.  Although it wasn't quite the "sea of purple" that the guide book promised, strolling along the gravel paths that intertwined and meandered gently through the garden was still a very pleasant way to spend an hour or so.  I was also reassured to see that their French lavender bushes look identical to the one I have at home, so mine is doing fine (I thought mine was looking a bit crappy and almost grumpy -but i guess it IS French).

After wandering through the grounds, happily taking pictures of all the weird and wonderful flowers and bushes (I have NO idea what any of them are, i'm afraid!), the fine mist that had descended as I'd driven higher up the slopes to the farm was turning into a slightly more persistent rain, so I decided that was my cue to retire to the cafe and gift shop to try their famous lavender tea (the lavender coffee was a bit too much of a stretch).

It was perfectly nice, unoffensive and smelt sufficiently floral without you feeling like you were chugging back disinfectant but, what is more impressive, is that I managed to resist the accompanying lavender scone that also comes highly recommended (I guess reading this Wheat Belly book must be leaving its mark...).

Here are some of the pictures from the farm - loading these up, I just realized I didn't take a single picture of any lavender.  Ah well....








Don't know why this statue has coins
for eyes, though i do know where she
could get a spare set of eyeballs....



Table just begging to be sat at 
Cheeky birds getting jiggy with the toaster oven.... 
Lavender tea, a view and me
After a half hour of sitting quietly, sipping tea and looking out across the incredible vista below, it was almost 4pm, so time to hop back into the car and head back towards Kahului.  I'd decided to have a bit of a foodie tour for dinner, so chose the nearby Pa'ai as it had plenty of options and great places.   And - this time - I made sure to check the prices before I went in!!

I started off at the Pa'ai Fish Market restaurant - a place noted for their fish.  Apparently the local favorite is ono (white fleshed wahoo fish) and chips, but I didn't want to stuff myself silly at the first place, so instead I opted for the blackened ahi sashimi appetizer, which is also highly recommended.  While it wasn't as sublime as the trio of sashimi's I'd had the day before at Mama's, it also didn't cost me a complete fortune AND was still pretty bloody lovely, so a good start.

Next, came a digestif of finest Kona coffee at Anthony's Coffee Company - the best cup of joe this side of the island.  I actually had a bit of a headache and realized I'd had very little caffeine so far, so thought  that a quick slug of the good stuff would help set me right (unless I was already starting to undergo wheat withdrawal symptoms...).  It was, as described, smooth and delicious and so, revitalized, set off for my last stop - entree at the Moana Bakery and Cafe.  

Utterly yummy pumpkin, goat cheese, toasted
pepita and other stuff I can't remember salad
It had a tapas-style menu and everything was pretty healthy and sounded delicious, so in the end I plumped for a VERY tasty salad with creamy goat cheese (from Sonoma Valley, as it happens!), leafy stuff and some beautifully toasted pepitas which gave the whole dish a delightful crunch.  I also indulged in some delish red new potatoes, which had been roasted, drizzled with olive oil, lemon, pink sea salt and spring onions - after which i was stuffed, so no dessert for me tonight!!

And with that, it was time to waddle back to the car for the short drive home.  This time, I knew exactly which road to take, so it only took me about 15 mins til I was home, back in my library, and wondering whether it would be bad form to try on his collection of fez's.

Early night for me tonight(-ish) as I have to be up in the middle of the night tomorrow to go and drive up the side of a (possibly still active) volcano to watch the sun rise.  It should be absolutely spectacular....
Pineapple "shrub" - no alcohol, just the
 squeezy goodness of pineapple and water

2 comments:

mumsiemumsie said...

Beautiful darling just beautiful.this is one trip I would have really enjoyed. This chap has a serious Dr Who thing going on with the Fez collection, perfect place for you to stay. Like all the delish looking drinks . Keep blogging ,loving itxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

gosh i love your posts!!!! i laugh out loud with your way of descriing things..esp the famous fish restaurant noted for its fish and the what sounds like a dr zuess fish and chips!! and the eyeballs and the fez's!! oh wonderful to see it all through your eyes too!! wonderful!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx