Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Day 2, Part 1: Horsepower Squared.

OMG.  Now that was just INSANELY fun.  I just spent the morning indulging in two of my favorite modes of transportation - horseback and helicopter! 


Just before leaving SF on Monday, I'd decided at the last minute Sunday night to book a couple of tours, so that I could make the most of my short time here in Maui.  I knew I wanted to try and go horse-riding but, unfortunately, the trip where you go into the Haleakala crater (the Sliding Sands Trail) was already booked out, so instead I started checking out other ranches on the island.  
And then I lucked out.  Instead of finding just a trail ride, I found a combo tour - horse ride first, then lunch, then a helicoptor tour of the West Maui coast.  Hell, YEAH.  It was Not Inexpensive, but I thought what the heck (cue rationalization again...) - and I'm certainly glad I did.  

The horse ride was phenomenal and the helicopter ride has to rank in the top 5 of my all time favorite travel memories.  It was completely spectacular and utterly jaw dropping.  I had lucked out (again) and had a front seat, up next to the pilot, so didnt have to look out over anyone's heads, but instead had a unobstructed view of some of the most incredibly natural beauty i've ever seen.   Rather than describe it, I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves.   Our whole flight was also videoed from a camera mounted to the front of the helicopter, so I stumped up and bought the DVD of my actual flight so that you all, dear blogwatchers, can share, at least a little bit, in the beauty and majesty of this experience too.    Its still loading up to You Tube at the moment, so, as soon as its finished, I'll add the link and write a bit more description of where we went.  But here are some of the photos in the meantime - enjoy!!

Cliff-top riding at the Mendes Ranch

Pretty gazebo with kick-ass view of the ocean below
Walkway to the gazebo at the ranch 
Drunk horse (geddit??)
More horse than a lasagne from Findus.... our steeds await 
Oh come on, now.  This is just too ridiculously beautiful.
No - I'm not trying to be hip - that's apparently a traditional
 hand sign here (guess its the Hawaiian equivalent of a thumbs up!
Me...umm... in FULL control of my horse
Getting my best Project Runway pose on... 
Yeah.  Not sure what happened here.
I think we'd both had enough photos by this stage....
Though my horse was called Duke, I renamed
him Dylan cos there weren't much
going on between them ears.... 
Musing mount, pondering life's great mysteries....
Our trusty wrangler, Butch - born and raised on Maui
Rather interesting shaped plant...
Butch demonstrating how to get home
on a horse after a night in the bar...

From Horse Power to horsepower, all aboard the Black Beauty.....


Here comes my ride!!

I think this one was called the Wall of Tears due to all the waterfalls



Mother and baby humpback whale
(its the prime season for whales in Maui)




OMG.  Red John is a helicopter pilot!!

2 comments:

mumsiemumsie said...

Thank goodness you not complete wimp about horses and helicopters, I would have completely missed all this magnificence , so two thumbs up for sharing this trip with us. How many readers will get\the Red John ref ? lots love xxxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

oh my!!! what a wonderful day!!! horses, and agree dylan is a great name...and loved the findus joke too!!! and helicopter ride...girl your life rocks!!!!!! and yes you do deserve it cos you work soooo hard!!! fabulous piccies and love the circumsied willy plant too!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx