Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Bearing it all for Charity

So then blog watchers.  As you know by now, I have signed up to do a half-marathon for charity in July.  So... time to get your wallets out and pledge me some cash!  Here is the link to my fundraising website and some more blurb about why I'm doing what I'm doing.  

Now, the official fundraising target was $1000.   As you also probably know, I (foolishly) set Daniel a challenge that - if I raised double my original target - I would agree to wear THIS.....


At the time of writing, I have already blasted past my "official" fundraising target of $1000 in just over a day, and am now currently standing at $1,085.   That's only $915 between me and a bear swimsuit.  

Needless to say, I'm starting to get a little nervous.....

******************************************************************************

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I need your help!  I have recently decided to take on a huge challenge.  I have committed to race a half marathon (13.1 miles) this July! I am doing it for a great cause too-- to help find a cure for Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis. I am running with a great team called Team Challenge, a team organized by the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation to help raise funds to support research, patient education, and support programs. My goal is to raise $ 1000 by May 18th to help find a cure for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.

In case you don’t know this about me – I am not what you would call a natural runner.  In fact, I’d almost go as far as to say I actively dislike running immensely.  The furthest I have ever run before is a 5K Hallowe’en race – and that was dressed as a penguin, so I’m not sure that really counts. To go straight from that to signing up for a half marathon is sheer craziness.  To achieve it, I have committed to getting up at 6am every Saturday through the summer for the group training, as well as 3 additional runs during the week. 

So why on earth am I doing it? 

I spend my days at work thinking about patients with GI diseases like IBD, IBS, celiac disease for example, and how to best guide Takeda to find new treatments that will meet the needs these patients still have and allow them to manage their disease and live their lives. But given the long timelines involved in drug discovery, this can mean that the impact of my efforts may sometimes not be seen for many years.  My decision to devote my summer to this cause and training allows me a real-time expression of commitment, today, to improving the lives and well being of the patients whose needs I try and serve every day when I go to work.

I have already met some truly inspirational people during training so far.  One of them is a fellow Doctor Who nerd like myself, a 13 year old called Kyle. When he was just six years old, Kyle started losing blood. Finally, results from a colonoscopy gave his parents a name for all the symptoms he had faced for so long: ulcerative colitis. Kyle began a journey of steroids, medication, and dietary restrictions. At eight years old, he faced three blood transfusions in the same year. Kyle now receives an intravenous medication every eight weeks to help give him color in his cheeks, energy, and a chance at a more normal life. Through it all, Kyle never complains. He faces ulcerative colitis with a brave face, positive attitude, and a true desire to give back and help others.

Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are known together as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). These are painful, medically incurable illnesses that attack the digestive system. The cause remains unknown. The mission of CCFA is to find a cure for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, and to improve the quality of life of children and adults affected by these diseases.

Again, my personal goal is to raise $2000 for the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America. Please consider supporting me in my effort by donating to CCFA. Time is of the essence! I need to reach my goal by May 18th. You can make a secure online donation by visiting my website at: http://online.ccfa.org/goto/Sholloway (Takeda colleagues - PLEASE remember to fill out the matching gift donation form – thank you!)

If you prefer to send a check, that’s fine too! Please make it payable to CCFA and send it to me at:

Sarah Holloway
One Takeda Parkway,
Deerfield,
IL 60015

I will also be accepting Advil, well wishes, ice packs, pity and a personal cheering section on race day.

Thank you for your generosity and support.

Warmest regards,
Sarah

No comments: