Sunday, October 12, 2014

Day 3: Au revoir Quebec City!

Well, bugger. Sunday already and its time to go home.

Quebec City has turned out to be one of those few rare places that I will actually come back to (my general rule of thumb is not to go back anywhere twice when there are still so many new places left to explore), so I’m already starting to plan my trip in my head. Most definitely in winter, when its all white and the snow makes it look even more magical than it does already. Maybe February when there is an ice-sculpting competition and I can stay in the ice hotel that is constructed each year and runs from January to March.  Or maybe next Christmas when Mumsie will be here to stay with me, and we can enjoy festive shopping warmed by mugs of hot chocolate? Most definitely, I will be back.

To make the best use of my morning, before heading off the airport around 1pm, I was up reasonably early at 8am for coffee, shower and to pack. It didn’t take all that long so, by 9am, I was out of the apartment, into the morning sunshine (the weather was even more glorious today!) for the short walk into the centre of town. I’d decided to go out on a high and make sure I didn’t leave town before the One Thing You Must Do in Quebec City – ie have breakfast at the Chateau Frontenac!  I was actually still pretty full from the sumptuous feast the night before but my host had recommended it too, so I figured I'd just suck it up and go eat more delicious food in an incredible setting.  Its a hard life sometimes.

Loopy - this one was for you!!
I arrived just before 9.30am and only had to wait for 20mins or so before I was seated.  As you would expect, the dining area was very stylish and beautifully decked out in a semi-art deco style.  It had a fab view of the wooden promenade below, with the river and fall foliage in the background.  It was another gloriously sunny day, even warmer than yesterday, so everyone was out strolling, enjoying probably the last stretch of decent weather before winter starts to roll in.

Breakfast was served buffet style so, for a flat fee, you could select whatever (and however much) you wanted.  The food itself was pretty good (the smoked salmon was excellent) but I don't think it was quite as rave-worthy as i'd been led to expect.  It was a fun experience and one I'm happy I checked off the bucket list, but I probably wouldn't do it again.

The bar - and waiting area - at the Chateau Frontenac
Anyway, after brunch, there was time for just a bit more moseying round the shops (I finally bought my Canada Goose coat so bring it ON, Chicago winter - I'm ready for ya!) before finally heading back to the apartment, finishing my packing and ordering a cab to take me to the airport (I did try on a few other outfits but a weekend full of poutine, croissants and foie gras had taken its toll, so nothing other than earrings fitted).  My flight was at 4pm, so I headed out just after 1pm - as it happened, I had plenty of time as my flight was immediately delayed by a couple of hours due to the residual effects of the ATC fire in Chicago 3 wks ago.  This time I was flying via Montreal, so the journey home took a bit longer but, eventually, I landed back in Chicago around 9pm local time.   Then, all I had to do was remember to claim my checked bag, figure out how to get back to the long stay car park and finally head home.  It was, all in all, a simply brilliant weekend and I can't wait to go back!!  Here are the last few pics from my trip, so enjoy!!
View of the boardwalk and river below 
Groovy dining area 
Another bar inside the dining area where breakfast
was being served
One of the breakfast buffet counters
First course!
Second course!
View of the other breakfast buffet 
Final course!  Full now!
Art gallery alley - somehow managed to escape
 without buying anything...

Flying into Montreal, stunning patchwork fields
and fall colors
Yes.  It was a teeny tiny plane!!  Propellers and wheels
under the wing!

4 comments:

mumsiemumsie said...

A glorious way to end your weekend decompression, ..with warm sunshine and shopping. So pleased you have your Canada Goose coat at last, you are now ready for Mother Nature and whatever she may fling at you. Thanks again for your literary efforts,always appreciated. Did you buy any earrings? ...scarves always fit too !! Lots love,darling xxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Lol!! thanks for the hose pic!!and OMG my idea of heaven,buffet breakfast! Thomas' idea of heaven too! am so jelly!! mind you, i would have eaten so much my glasses would have got tighter, but you did us blog watchers proud soopY! am so pleased you had a wonderful time,the city is beautiful and def on my list of places to visit noe! thanks for taking us with you, loved all the blogs,pics and food stuffs!! love you xxxxxxxxxxxx

Dad said...

Immediately I saw the buffet breakfast I thought of Louise and Thomas. and as for a balanced breakfast the croissant on the right looks a little heavier. I am also a little concerned you are displaying a little of mummsie by getting lost. I think that it was an excellent idea to take a break after the traumas that you have been going through, and what a choice.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lisa said...

I'm SO coming with you next time!!!