Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Not Swatch Watch

Oops.

The cats are not happy with me.  I just set off the fire alarm in my apartment grilling onions.  They both HATE high pitched sirens, so Dylan has just given me a filthy "WTF?" look before heading to his safe place amongst the black jackets in my closet.

Anyway, i'm back.  Sorry I've been gone for so long, but things have been a little intensely busy, what with the move, the new job, the travel and the siren's call of hibernation.   However, spring is trying its damnedest to sprung (70 degrees on Saturday, snow on Monday…hmmm..), so its time to slough off the sloth, start to catch you chaps up on what I've been up to over the last couple of months, and then set you all a little task...

When I left you all last, I believe we were about to reach the thrilling conclusion to Swatch Watch.  Since then, I'm happy to report that the Doria Charcoal beat out a very close challenge from the Dawson Cement and will be joined in victory by Louis, Delia and Chloe.  Madison and..um… Crest will form the vanguard on the terrace.  Obviously Room and Board derives its furniture inspiration from 1960's baby name books and toothpaste.

"But...Wait?  What?  A terrace?? " I hear you all cry!  No - I haven't been holding out on you but, since my last blog post, I discovered that I have the misfortune to have a herd of elephants/small children living directly above me.  Whats more - despite my apartment building being a brand new construction, it is not at all soundproof!  The beautiful wooden floors act like big sounding boards so that the thump of footsteps above me is ridiculously noisy and even makes my ceiling shake at times.  Either the family living above me are very flat footed or very large but, whatever the reason, I can't take it anymore.  So, in about 4 weeks time, i'm moving apartments again!!  And this time, I'm heading for the penthouse, baby!!

Yes - fortunately a 2-bedroom plus den AND TERRACE apartment on the 5th floor is becoming available (the current occupants are moving back to South Carolina cos they couldn't deal with the Chicago winter!) so I pounced on it!  Of course, its a bit of a pain in the ass having to uproot and move again (including getting my newly-installed Elfa closets uninstalled and then re-installed in the new place) but it will be well worth it to be able to feel as if I can finally relax in my home.  Fortunately all my new furniture from Room and Board (thanks, Mr Tax Return man) can be delivered after my move, so thats going to be less hassle - and i can't wait to see everything!  Its going to look super swish!  Of course, I will post pictures after my move and when its all "done" so you can see my new digs.  I'm very much looking forward to having my own little private spot outside with my terrace - perfect for the 8 days of the year when its warm enough to sit outside.  The only other real bummer about having to move is leaving behind my fab Sherlock wall - decorated with temporary wallpaper (great website called Spoonflower.com) and put up lovingly by my hairdresser (who also does interior design - a perfect combo!).  I love how it looks (and I picked all my furniture out with that in mind as the accent wall - so we'll see how it pans out) and - as I had to sign for my other apartment sight unseen, I don't know whether i'll be able to have something similar in my new place.  But, anything has to be better than the Elephants Above, so i'm sure it will be fabulous!

Cumberb*tchin' decorating!
Anyway, I have to tell you - right now I feel like Hell On Toast.  I am currently on Day 3 of a 10-Day Detox diet where you give up sugar, alcohol and caffeine.  CAFFEINE, PEOPLE!!!  I know I drink a lot of the stuff but it is truly ridiculous that on Monday night, Day 2 of my detox, I was so tired I went to bed at 8.30pm!!!!   How rubbish is that??  Today, i'm sitting here supping a cup of decaf English Breakfast tea, in a desperate attempt to fool my central nervous system that its getting some go-go-juice but, frankly, if i make it to 9pm tonight, I'll be amazed.  The other part of this detox diet involves 30mins "brisk" exercise first thing in the morning before breakfast (I did check and snoring or enthusiastic nocturnal drooling doesn't count), so i've been up every morning at 5.45am to get my arse into the gym before work.  By the time 8am rolls around, all I want to do is climb back into bed!

Resistance is futile
But why, SITC, why all this detox nonsense??  Well, alas, its all a necessary evil to undo the effects of Severe Choccy Bunny Syndrome - a common malady affecting travelers to Switzerland around Easter time.  Honestly, those little cocoa bombs were simply everywhere - you sneeze and you find one has accidentally jammed itself into your mouth when you weren't looking.  It was bucking ridiculous.  What on earth was a girl to doe?



Bigger than a small child.
Probably tastier too. 
Psycho bunnies
Healthy AND snacky?  How Swiss.
Last ditch attempt at the airport to
 ensnare you in choccy goodness
Now THATS my type of transport!  Veuve Cliquot bicycle?
Ding-ding!!

I also tried to find some errant, non-seasonal reindeer to get the herd started early in amongst the Lindt mountain, but alas, there was nothing hare.  Fortunately I'll be heading back to Zurich in September, so perhaps i'll have more luck then…

So, other stuff I have to catch you up on:

trip to Japan (it was very interesting…)
trip to Zurich (it was surprisingly nice)
trip to WholeFoods Lincoln Park, Chicago (ooohhhhh…..)
trip to antiques fair at Chicago Botanic Garden (its amazing the crap people buy)
Dylan and the washing machine

Alas its now 9.15pm and i am seriously drooping. (steady).  So, i will pick this up again tomorrow night for another exciting installment.  Given the craziness has calmed down now, I will endeavor to blog post more than once every two months!

In the meantime, here's a Mission Should You Choose To Accept it.  Along the lines of Dungeons and Dragons and the Choose Your Own Adventure books (remember them?) - you get to choose what I do and where I go exploring in and around Chicago.  Loopy - you were a particularly brilliant travel agent last time, so i'm looking to you for kick-ass suggestions.  Daniel.  Nope.  I'm not going there or doing that.  Ashley, Sarah - of course they serve champagne there - why else would I visit?  Jessica - that is an awesomely nerdy suggestion.  Lori - Tillamook!!

Ah….its good to be back.  Lets go have some adventures together!

5 comments:

mumsiemumsie said...

Missed you !!! how lovely to have you back blogging and so many interesting topics for you to catch us up with, anticipating the next already. Am sure the chocolate bunny binge was well worth the temporary pain you are now suffering, how wonderful to be able to find the bunnies, our selection here this year is poor and stupidly expensive . Until I find out more about Chicago my suggestion is to explore the lakeside and become an expert on your immediate locale. Again, GREAT to have you back, lots love xxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are back oh how i have missed thee!!!!! cant wait for the catch up blogs and good luck with the detox....i would have been in a diabetic coma if i was in zurich!!! Hmmm... interesting things to do in Chicago eh... well here goes..

1.Skating in The sky at the John Hancock building, a skating rink on the 94th floor...
2. Amazing Chicago's Funhouse mae at the Navy pier..
3.One to take Mumsie too.. The Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Study..
4.Of course you have to do The Chicago Haunting Tour...you did the ship now take it on dry land!...
5.Bike and Roll at The Milleniuim park..
6.Go to the Garfield parjk conservatory...cat not included
7.Lincoln Park Zoo and take a trip on a swan boat...
8. Chocolate at the Pen...Peninsula hotel on friday and sat has live jazz and a chocolate buffet......
9. Take a stroll through Olive Park..
10. Go to the Musuem of Science and Industry...
There, that should keep you going!!!! cant wait for more but so lovely to have you back!!! love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

i ment to say maze for number 2!!! Oh and i forgot....
11.SkyDeck at the Sears tower where the floor is see through....! love you xxxxxxx

Sarah said...

Hurrah, so glad to finally here about how you've been getting on, even my parents were asking for updates! You do realise you're going to have to do another video shoot of the new penthouse so we can all picture it like the last one?!

So glad to hear that things are going well so far, and that you can still get your hands on copious quantities of champagne, phew!!

Right, adding to Loopy's list for Chicago:
1. Take the architectural boat cruise (goes from Navy Pier I think, so you can combine it with the maze) - did this last year after someone else recommended it to me
2. Visit the beluga whales at the aquarium
3. Eat goat at The Girl & the Goat - and definitely recommend the AWESOME roasted cauliflower, it's way more spectacular than you would expect!
4. Art Institute - sure you've already done it, but it's so good you can do it again!
5. Take the obligatory photos of yourself reflected in the Bean

Will that do for starters?? Look forward to more updates, we miss you in San Francisco!! xxxxx

Anonymous said...

This was all I could muster
http://www.weirdchicago.com/
Without being too horrible.