Monday, July 02, 2012

A different type of journey.....
So - as those of you who are regular visitors to this blog already know - I usually ramble on about my various trips and travel escapades, both at home and afar.  But today is different.  Today marks the start of a very different type of journey.   A journey unlike any I've ever undertaken before.  A journey into a dark and mysterious place, a place where few have ventured and where unseen dangers lurk and linger.  Where the final destination is uncertain, and no roadmap or recipe to follow exists.  I am about to embark upon a journey to...

...the back of my kitchen cupboards.


Yes.  For the next ONE MONTH, I will endeavor to feed myself using only the existing contents of my kitchen cupboards.  Before you all write in, concerned about the imminent risk of scurvy such an endeavor would entail, i will be allowed to buy fresh fruit and vegetables to supplement my pantry pickings, but thats it.  Oh, and loo roll*.  Obviously, due to the inherent logistical challenges involved in transporting said kitchen storage facilities across country, this challenge will be *paused* whilst I am away from home on business.  Other terms and conditions may apply.

It could take a while to complete the challenge.

By why, Sarah, WHY?  What on earth would prompt you to undertake such a completely pointless experiment?  I'm glad you asked.  One - I'm very skint after my Vacation of A Lifetime in Bhutan, so it seemed like a financially prudent endeavor.  Two - I'm very fat after my Vacation of A Lifetime in Bhutan, so its highly likely to result in some highly inedible dishes and thus guaranteed weight loss.  Third - i'm very curious to know what i will be eating by Day 27.   Four - still working on a fourth reason.  Three will need to suffice for now.

So - to the Challenge, or as dear old Sherlock would say - The Game is Afoot!!!  Each day i log my challenge, i will list the main ingredients of each dish (in case you wish to recreate the magic at home in the privacy of your own pantries), plus rate the Difficulty of Dish construction, the Imagination Index required to dream up said concoction and finally the Propensity for Barf Factor (also more commonly described as the Taste).  For you market research types out there, here are the detailed assessment criteria:

DoD (scale 1-5, 1 = so easy, even Dylan The Cat could make this, to 5 - multi-day construction project potentially requiring time-off from work)
II (scale 1-5, 1 = plot of any film starring Matthew McConaughey to 5 = if Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" had a recipe section, this would be in it)
PfBF (scale 1 - 5, 1 = tastes great, I am a culinary genius! to 5 = unspeakably vile, why the hell am i doing this again and when can i next go away on business?)

Enough pre-amble.  Let's get cookin'!!

Day 1 supper:  Random Cupboard Chicken Stew**
Chicken Cupboard Stew, Day 1.  Still steamin'......
Ingredients: chicken thighs (high premium ingredient from the freezer), black beans, jar of tomato-based pasta sauce, cubed sweet potato.  Here are the scores on the (oven) doors:
DoD = 1
II = 1
PrBF = 1
Overall assessment: low hanging fruit from the bounty of my still well-stocked freezer.  An easy and quick win to boost confidence, early on in the game...

*NOT for consumption.
** For clarification - the ingredients are random, the cupboard itself is very well-defined and not in the least random, thank you very much (footnote: A.C.Board)

No comments: