Sunday, February 17, 2008

Beaches, big branches and bubbles
So checked out of hotel fairly early this morning (which, in the end i was quite glad to as it was all a bit dark & depressingly Victorian in feel) and had an enormous cranberry almond muffin and coffee for breakfast, before driving out to the riding stables for my beach ride. Unfortunately all the private rides were already booked, so i had to go with a group of beginners (so no trotting or cantering) but it was still nice to be on horseback riding through the woods, then on the beach. Got chatting to one of the wranglers and pretty much heard his entire life story(which was very..er.. colourful!) during the ride, but that was fine - meeting new and interesting people is all part of the fun of travelling on your own!

After the ride, was time to drive back to West Sonoma spa. Instead of the coastal road, I chose to drive a more direct, inland route - glad i did, cos it was bloody long way and again took me longer than anticipated. Note to self - next time, check the distances more thoroughly and don't underestimate how long its going to take to get anywhere!! But it was actually a good choice in that it took me through some beautiful redwood forests again, with the road winding through ancient groves of the some of the most majestic trees i've ever seen. With golden shafts of sunlight occasionally piercing through the verdant cover, the light had this amazingly diffuse and soft quality that was quite ethereal and almost spiritual in feel. I parked up for a few moments during my drive so as to just sit for a while to soak up the atmosphere and reflect - it was a very moving experience that left a deep impression.

So, obviously the only way to follow that experience was with a good dollop of alcohol. And fortunately, I happened to be driving through one of the best places in the USA to go sample - Anderson and Sonoma Valley!! Alas, this is where the "travelling on your own is just as rewarding and fun" argument falls down somewhat - as it was just me driving, I was pretty limited in the number of vineyards and tasting houses I could visit. So, ever true to form, I picked the Roederer Estate - the West Coast outpost of the famous Louis Roederer champagne house. Oh my. I think i did well to leave with just a case of Rose champagne and a jereboam of NV house bubbles! Its going to be one enormous party when i crack that little puppy open!

Anyway, am now back in West Sonoma ready for final drive back to San Fran tmrw and flight back to NYC. Has been a good trip - poignant at times because i'm here on my own but, on the whole, a restorative one. Plenty of fresh air, more natural beauty than should be legal plus time and space for reflection. I'm glad I came and i'm also looking forward to going home and seeing what 2008 holds. Bring it on!!!

No comments: