Thursday, December 05, 2013

The Cat is Out of The Bag....

Right then.  I have news.  

This is where my blog bifurcates into Those Who Use Facebook and Those Who Do Not.  For those of you who have seen my earlier post tonight, you will already be aware of my Stonking Annoucement.  For those of you who have not, let me explain.

Its Daniel Johnson's fault.

Yep.  As soon as he posted a link to the following news article to my Facebook timeline, I knew my time in the US was numbered.


So annoying.  But - as they say - knowledge is power, so after such enlightenment, what else could I do but act on said information?

So, for those of you who Have Not Yet Heard - I'm moving.  And shaking.  Probably literally.  Because i'm leaving the earthquake capital of the West Coast to move to the Seriously Scary Earthquake Capital of the.. um.. (far) East Coast.  I'm moving to Japan!  More precisely, Tokyo!

Yep, I will be leaving my current job at Sudler, leaving San Francisco AND the US (thanks for the citizenship - so byee!) for a new job with Takeda Pharmaceuticals, based out of their Tokyo office, with responsibility for the launch of their new multi-billion dollar diabetes blockbuster drug.  I'll be based in Japan for the first 18 months, then I'll return either to Deerfield, Illinois (just outside Chicago) or to Zurich, Switzerland to co-ordinate the rest of the global launches.  Its a fantastic opportunity, so i couldn't be more thrilled.  Its also going to be a phenomenal adventure - i've never even been to Japan, so to up sticks and go move there permanently is going to be quite the experience!  My Rosetta Stone Japanese course is already on order, so I hope I'll be able to learn enough to at least survive in restaurants and train stations!

Timing-wise, its going to be at least 6 -10 weeks before i move permanently, while they get the Japan work visa sorted.  Til then, I'll be working remotely from SF, with visits to the Chicago office.  I know I already have a trip to Japan scheduled for the first week of January for an apartment-hunting trip, so I will keep you all posted and suitably amused with the tiny-ness of apartments inTokyo that I will be living in.  Its gonna be just like living back in NYC again - but smaller!!  Sayonara to my palatial two-story CA-living townhome with private patio, pool, hot tub and outdoor garden and BBQ!  But I Will Be Back - I'm not selling but I'll be renting my place out for the foreseeable future.  I certainly see myself coming back to California one day, so I absolutely want to keep hold of my place.  Its too perfect to let go of and, psychologically, its easier for me to leave if i have a foothold back here that I can come back too.

So there you go.  That's my news.  Let the blog-fest begin....

2 comments:

mumsiemumsie said...

what can I say that I haven't ,already said ? Am very proud and thrilled for you, it was time for new challenges and horizons and you will thrive my darlingxxxxxxx Sorry I wont be with you for Christmas but will be with you in cherry blossom time !Cant wait to explore your new town with you, lots of lovexxxx

Ashley said...

We are also so proud of you and excited for you. So glad its official. We can not wait to fly over and visit you. Love you loads xxxxx