Sunday, October 13, 2013

Spookiness is afoot...

Ooooh!  I'm starting to get excited already for the holiday season!  So much to look forward to - the 5K Mad Dash in the Wicked Woods, Halloween itself, Santacon, Festive Fridays and the Ugly Christmas Sweater party!   So...to get me in the mood, I decided to engage in a little light pumpkin carving this evening.  I had three pumpkins from my up, up and away girls weekend in Napa (I know, I know - I still need to write that one up for you!) ready and raring to go.  So - with the help of a rather nifty pumpkin carving kit from Safeway (its amazing the stuff you can buy in there!) - I unleashed my inner squash scribe and I have to say I think the results were quite outstanding!

Before
Emergent brilliance...
Ta-da!!!
I'm really quite impressed with myself!  I even managed to spell it correctly and to carve out the right bits!  Well done, me!  I might even try another one.

Now, I'm not sure if its the change of the seasons (in as much as they change here in SF), but I was in a distinctly domestic goddess mood today.  I think I must have been inspired by the cooking class I went to last Sunday, so off I trotted to Trader Joes to stock up on supplies and then spent a very contented couple of hours pootling about in the kitchen.  The result?  Maple whipped sweet potatoes with caramelized onions, thyme Yorkshire puddings with a couple of chicken and apple bangers.  Washed down with a very nice glass of rose Cremant de Bourgogne from Trader Joe's, it was the perfect end to a very chilled out weekend!

They are, indeed, things of beauty.

2 comments:

mumsiemumsie said...

That is one meal I hope you reprise when I get there , looks and sounds delicious, you can have my glass of wine though ! What cooking class ? you are not keeping us fully informed with your oh so interesting and varied lifestyle. More blogs!!!!!! No pressure.Top marks for Yorkshire puds , just perfect darling xxxxxxxxxx

mumsiemumsie said...

Got so carried away with Yorkshire Puddings I quite forgot to say how impressed I was with your pumpkin carving skills, very impressive darling, and all 10 digits still unscathed, well done you !!!!! xxxxxx