Thursday, May 31, 2012

One pitch down, one more morning to go....
Its been a whirlwind few weeks (months actually) and its almost done.  Had our huge pitch this morning here in Chicago.  Pitching is like dating.  You think you've done great, you had really great conversations and the chemistry felt really good - but then its all about waiting to hear.  And the post-date self-analysis that starts to creep in.  Did they really like us (me)?  Did i answer that question well enough?  WHY, OH WHY, HAVENT THEY CALLED YET??

OK, OK - we only finished the pitch about 6hrs ago, but even still.  Call us, already and just give us the damn business.

So, with only time to pause for a quick celebratory Express G&T with my fellow pitch survivors, it was into the Lincoln Town Car for what turned out to be an absolutely tortuously slow car ride to downtown Chicago.  Although the client was only 40miles away from the market research facility, heavy rain, construction, accidents and diversion all conspired to turn what was a 40min ride from the airport on Tues to a nearly 3hr endurance marathon.  I finally got to the research facility at around 6.30pm (better late than never, right?) and enjoyed the singular pleasure that only market research can offer, of sitting in a dark room, trying simultaneously to maintain interest in the 20th person's answer to the exact same question whilst avoiding the siren lure of M&Ms and avoid ordering a slab of Godiva cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory to give me something to live for.

So thats it for today.  Only kicker was my room having been cancelled at my hotel due to a technical hiccup, at the start of one of the busiest conferences in the known universe (think Bethlehem, inn, straw, manger) - fortunately for me, divine intervention came in the shape of Ben, the hunky hotel manager who managed to somehow squeeze me into a room in a fully booked hotel and thus save me from having to go back to the research facility and kip on the sofa.  Hallejulah.  Numbers were also duly exchanged and drinks bought and promised, so it might end well yet.  So, now am in the bar enjoying a VERY WELL DESERVED gin and tonic (seeing as i am apparently severely intolerant to wine - grrr) and reflecting on what has been a crazy assed day.

Tomorrow, we start at 7.45am (huzzah!) and there is just 3hrs of work between me and my once-in-a-lifetime vacation to Bhutan and 2 weeks of counting 40 years worth of blessings.  I havent had any time  to really think about my holiday, so i'm sure its going to come as a bit of a surprise to find myself on a plane, on Saturday, bound for a location other than New York and not having to work throughout the flight.  I.  Can't.  Wait.

No comments: