Wednesday, March 07, 2012

It was good to be back, good to be going home
So am on the plane on my way back to SF, and its been a fun few days back in NYC. For the first time being back, since I moved West, I felt vaguely nostalgic about my time in NYC and kinda missed the familiarity of everything. Wandering around the office and my old neighbourhood, I know where the Sephora is. Where the drug stores are. Paragon Sports. All within a block or two of each other. I guess its inevitable, after so much change in such a short period of time, that a little familiarity feels comforting so i'm not freaking out about it, just observing it with interest. I know that that will come with SF and its already starting to - it will just take time. I really do think i have the best of both worlds in terms of being able to come back and enjoy NYC whilst living in one of the most spectacular cities in the US.

Work-wise, I definitely did miss, this time, being part of the bigger group - it was such a luxury to be able to spend a good couple of days with my colleagues, sharing ideas, knowledge, issues and complaints. It helped me with the sense of isolation i've been feeling recently - to be back and to feel valued again. I need to figure out how better to retain this back in SF and to use my colleagues more effectively as the support network i need. It was obviously less of an issue in NYC - just seeing folk to talk to makes you feel less isolated. I do miss the camaraderie. BUT with my election to the Board of Directors of the SF Chapter of the HBA (whoo-hoo), maybe this will help feel that need too.

No comments: