Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day 2, Part Bleugggh: The Revenge of the Chocolate Turtle
Oh dear. I think the post-prandial chocolate almond bark and caramel square put me over the top and sent me spinning into a calorie coma. I got the bus back to the hotel, got up to my room and promptly crashed out for 2hrs! My poor little tummy was not very happy with me, so I thought sleeping it off was probably the best strategy. I did feel better when I woke up and – true to my word – I headed down to the gym and got my lardy arse onto the treadmill, stat! Plugged in my “You on A Walk” and started to undo some of the astronomic gastronomic damage from earlier! After a good half hour’s fast walk, I felt much better and sufficiently invigorated to do an hour’s weights. Did enough to make both my arms and legs shake, so thought that was probably good enough (I am on holiday after all!), then went for a quick wander outside – it was so quiet (especially after Bat Out of Hell blasting full volume on my earphones!) but again, quite chilly, so I only stayed out for a few minutes before scuttling back in for warmth. Back to the room, to shower and get Malandrino-ed up for dinner. Had the Weather Channel on in the room whilst I got dressed – they have very entertaining weather reports here in Canada! I loved the weather advisory about the hail “the size of nickels” as well as all the crazy names of arse-end of nowhere places that make you wonder just how they came to be named as such (Pickle Lake, anyone?!). I had to say I felt a little sorry for poor old Saskatchewan with its 100mm of rain. That sounds like a shed load of wet to me!!!
Anyway, am now back down in the Larkspur lounge, listening to a different pianist tinkling the ivories this evening (I’m still one of the youngest people here!). It is a bit weird sitting here in the bar on my own writing my travel blog on my PC (I’m pretending I’m a journalist working for a Sunday newspaper lifestyle column), but nobody gives a shit and its better than a pack of Marlboro Light to keep me company. Tonight’s tipple of choice is a Raspberry martini concoction, made with frangelico, raspberry vodka and white Godiva liqueur – it’s a bit weird, but the barman was really keen for me to try it, so I don’t want to hurt his feelings and tell him I didn’t really like it!! After chatting with the barman, I can now confirm that the Aussies are, in fact, in total control of Banff and that they are in cahoots with the Scots. I think I’ve met about 3 Canadians in total since I’ve been here! I’m really looking forward to tomorrow as I’m going riding for 5hrs – should see some stunning scenery and hopefully get some good pics. Hopefully won’t fall off!! (especially as I forgot to buy travel insurance - oops!)

No comments: